Friday, March 13, 2015

Releasing DAPmovie

In 4 short weeks my second feature film Dial A Prayer is releasing theatrically and on-demand.  I'm excited and terrified.  Well maybe not terrified.  Nervous. The thing is, although I am entirely grateful to have a second film receive distribution, I'm still crazy nervous.  Even with the fact that so far the support of cast, distributor and all other parties involved in the release has been fantastic. And the trailer kindof rocks. Still. Nervous. See this film did not have a festival ride, we received excitement for the title early on and went straight for the sale- which ultimately is the end goal for any independent film hoping to 'launch' on a festival ride right? Sure.  But for me, not having had any experience or engagement with an audience or reviewer just puts all the more pressure on April 10. Because it's the first time.  The real time.  It's like ON.

From the moment I first starting writing Dial A Prayer it was like some other force was pulling the story out of me- driving me to tell it. I had no choice but to make it.  I was hesitant to send it to anyone- worried they would see prayer in the title and make some quick judgement on me- the material.  Was I some hidden Jesus freak? Trying to cash in on Heaven Is For Real's crazy box office success?  Or was I going to piss off those people who did have faith- mock something- not give it it's due respect.  Burn the church/take down the man. There was no way to preface any conversation with what I wanted the movie to be or exactly what story I was trying to tell.  You see I had to put my complete and uttermost faith in myself and this story.  I had to hand it over to potential investors and agents and casting directors and dps and friends and ACTORS and just TRUST that they would get it.  That they would get it in their way. See that it isn't really a movie about God or Christianity is a yes or any kind of faith is a no but really about believing in something bigger.  The power of that. The power of forgiveness.  And again not in a cheesy afterschool special kind of way. But in my way. This wild funny dramatic messy bright way. That was my hope.

I couldn't be more proud of the film we ended up making.  And I couldn't be more grateful to my producers at Storyboard Entertainment and my gorgeous cast led by Brittany Snow and my dear friend and mentor William H Macy.  I'm grateful that my mom read it early on (out loud to my Dad) and told me to keep going.  That Jason Potash responded to the 65 page draft and always kept it in his sights to make sure we made it. That Sylvia Sether told me I was a writer when I swore that I wasn't. For my husband for waiting to watch it until it really was done and EVERYONE who put their own faith in the story we wanted to tell. Those were some cold Michigan exterior shoot days.

I'm not sure what will happen on April 10th.  But I'm happy that that day will come and that this seed of a story will have a chance to grow into something really BIG.






No comments:

Post a Comment