Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Quietly Relentless

The smoke detector in our bedroom needs a new battery.  But the old one is still doing something. When you take a really hot shower there is this faint yet consistent 'bleating' noise that comes out of the white disk on the wall.  It catches you off guard- it's not very loud but man it's persistent. STEADY.  I know it needs to get fixed.  But still the 'bleat' goes on. Seems like a true analogy for my own pursuit of  work at the moment.  It's been a busy year.  Released two films in 2015 and began 2016 directing the pilot and first four episodes of a digital series. Directed my first two year old! No small feat!  Directed a lovely short in Australia. Was accepted into the Directing Lab at Film Independent and have two feature scripts I am attached to direct and am excited about.  But as much as I wish it weren't the case- it's not like CRAZY BUSY.  And what I thought would be a logical and 'it's about time' transition into episodic television directing has not happened yet either. But I have amazing people helping me push this through like Gina Reyes at Fox and the amazing ladies at WeForShe. Granted, I know it's a tough business and a very competitive one.  But, I know I could be doing better.  Getting in bigger rooms- given bigger opportunities.  A very successful writer/director now producer once described me as 'quietly relentless'.  I had just sent my usual- 'Hey! congrats on all you are doing I just directed this here's a link/released a movie/got into this festival email in the hopes he/they might consider me to come onboard one of their projects.  I was slightly taken aback when he kindly described me in this way.  He was like! 'Look at you- you are still at it!' Huh. I've never wanted to be annoying or aggressive but RELENTLESS made me think of one of those storms that beats away at a coast or an attack of missiles on defenseless civilians during a major war.  And quiet too- like did he mean in an annoying way?  Or a beautiful yet tolerable way.  I'll never know.


Cut to today and I haven't actually changed my approach nor do I plan to.  I continue to reach out, self promote, create my own work (as I was taught at Atlantic Theater Company when I was an expectant 19 year old) and work.  Keep working.  And keep reaching for bigger and better opportunities.  Believing they will show up when they are meant to. So if I email or text you and it reminds you of the soft strong bleating of a dying smoke alarm let me assure you it is me- just me- and while I may be quietly relentless- I am not giving up yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment